Tuesday 10 November 2015

Gratification Studies

There have been many researchers who have looked into the gratifications of specific technologies and media such as cell phones and reality television. With regards to the study done by Wei and Lo (2006) on cell phones, they found that the main gratifications were: status/fashion, social utility, information-seeking, mobility, accessibility, and affection. I can especially relate to the gratification of status as each time I got a new cell phone, my friends were interested in what phone I got and how it functioned, especially if they didn't have it. Also, my cell phone does provide me with information whether it be through text messaging someone, or checking the news and social media for updates.

As for reality television, Papacharissi and Mendelson (2007) studied its gratifications and found that many people get social interaction from it, as well as companionship, reality entertainment, voyeurism, habitual pass time, and relaxation. Since I watch a few reality television shows, I often have a group of friends that I watch them with so I get the social interaction and companionship from it as we also discuss what happens after each episode ends. In addition, I tend to watch reality television as a way to relax because there is often nothing very complex about the shows and thus they do not require much thinking on my part.

No comments:

Post a Comment